British Forces Antwerp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
British Forces Antwerp

Helping to bring you in touch with eachother!!

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Lost Forum

+5
Geoff587
paddyq
Elke
Geoff
martini
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Lost Forum Empty The Lost Forum Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 pm

martini

Hi Guy,s
Welcome back, sorry for the delay but we had a load of trouble on the server affraid " i frames & viruses. But we are back, this time with a stand alone forum thanks to actieforum. I hope you will all log back in and start to use this forum like we started with the original one. cheers

regards

Martini.

2The Lost Forum Empty Hi Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Geoff

Geoff

I'm Geoff and I served in 15 ABOD (Rear) from 1962 to 1965
and
ODA Antwerp from 1974 to 1977

http://www.geoffsresources.org.uk/

3The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:31 am

Elke

Elke

Hi Geoff,

I'm Elke and I'm doing some research about the British camps in the Kempen. The council of Ranst and the Province of Antwerp asked me to write the history of Emblem and the other sites based on archives, pictures and -most important- memories of people. Is it possible that I saw you're memories on the forum RAOC online? In that case, you know a lot of Emblem. Are you interested in answering some questions? May I use some of your reactions in the book?

Thank you in advance!

4The Lost Forum Empty Questions? Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:18 am

Geoff

Geoff

I have written about Emblem on RAOC On Line.
My memory is not that good Elke but I'll try to answer any questions for you ...

5The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:34 am

Elke

Elke

Thank you Very Happy ! I have a list with questions but it will be difficult to answer them all (normally these questions are for a conversation). Mostly one question leads to another and the stories just pop up. Maybe this list can bring back some memories to you? The one thing that "hits" me quite often is that everyone liked to stay in Emblem. The Belgian civilians all told me: "If the camp opens up again, I'm the first one at the gate." And also the British people who stayed in Belgium told me they really liked being there. Why is that so? What was so special about Emblem? What was the camp to you?

The list:

Theme 1: Personal work experiences in camp A

What was your function in camp A and what was your responsibility?
How long did you stay or work at the British base?
Why did you join the British army? Why did you come to the British base in the Kempen?
Did you learn any Dutch?
Did you love working/living there?
What was an average day in the camp like? Can you describe your day from morning till evening?
Who were the closest people you had to work/live with in the camp?
What was so special about your function?
Did you have privileges the Belgian civilians didn’t have?
How was the relationship between the Belgian civilians in the camp and the militaries?
Did you have some dressing prescriptions specifically for your function?
What were the important rules you had to remember living and working in the camp?
Can you remember special occasions?
Can you remember some good anecdotes?

Theme 2: Camp A and the Kempen

How often did you visit Ranst, Lier and the vicinity to shop, go out, … ?
Was it difficult to get to know Belgian civilians?
What impression left the Kempen and camp A on you?

Theme 3: Daily life in the camp

Which functions - not only military - did you have in the camp (cooks, cleaning ladies, barmen, a dentist,…)?
What could you do in the camp to relax a bit (sport facilities, going to the cinema,…)?
What happened when a military became sick or died?
What happened when a military broke the rules?
What happened when a Belgian civilian broke the rules?
How often was the little church in use? What did the chapel look like, inside and outside?
What and where did you eat in the camp? Did you use the church?
Where did you live (in the camp, in Herentals,…)?
What did you eat at special occasions?

Theme 4: Family

What did the houses in Lier and Herentals look like?
The women of the militaries, what did they do. How did they pass their time?
Were they allowed to enter the camp at any time?
What can you tell about the little school in Emblem?
What can you tell about the NAAFI?

Theme 5: Identity

How many nationalities worked at the British base in the Kempen?
What feasts were celebrated throughout the year (Queens Birthday Parade, Christmas, Guy Fawkes,…)?
Which Belgian habitats were interesting?

Theme 6: The military aspect of the British base

What did camp A look like? Was it clearly a military camp?
Was camp A always the most important camp in the Kempen?
What were the rules when you entered the camp?
How was the camp guarded?
Why did some militaries stay longer than three years?
What military exercises were held to prepare for a nuclear war?
Could you tell that it was a cold war?
Did the British army had any contact with the Belgian army?
What was the connection between the camp in Emblem and the camps in Germany and Great-Britain?
How could the camp communicate with the world?

Theme 7: The closure of the camps

What happened when the camps closed one by one over the years?
What did you feel about the closure in ’92?
What is the most important thing that has to be saved and kept from the camp?
What has to happen with camp A today?
Did you keep archives, pictures,… from the camp?

Extra

Which questions or subjects did I forget?

6The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:51 am

Geoff

Geoff

Hmm,
that might take some time? Wait out ...

Which questions or subjects did I forget?

Not a lot ...

7The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:18 pm

paddyq

paddyq

martini wrote:Hi Guy,s
Welcome back, sorry for the delay but we had a load of trouble on the server affraid " i frames & viruses. But we are back, this time with a stand alone forum thanks to actieforum. I hope you will all log back in and start to use this forum like we started with the original one. cheers

regards

Martini.

Hi I'm PaddyQ, and unlike Geoff I only had the pleasure of one tour of duty in Belgium 1971 - 74.
I lived with my family at 19 ArnhemStraat, Herentals and worked at a vehicle storage and maintenance park at Olen.
However, Emblem Camp was our military HQ and social centre so I spent quite some time in the camp on guard duties and functions in the Britannia Club and Sergeants'Mess.
I adored the Belgian people and and was very sorry to leave the country when my tour of duty ended.

8The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Elke

Elke

Hi,

Always nice to meet people who stayed in Emblem for a few years Wink . For the Kempen (Ranst, Lier, Herentals,...) it was a good thing the British army installed a base and employed lots of civilians. Most of the people I talked to thought their time in Emblem was the best job they ever had. Some of them even cried when they told me about the closing up. So you left an impression Wink.

If you lived in the Arnhemstraat, can you tell me what your house looked like? And can you tell me some more about the guard duty?

(I apologize for my mistakes in English but certainly when I'm tired, I write things wrong. Just don't look at them...)

9The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Geoff

Geoff

Hi Elke,

What/where is:
Kampen?
Camp A?

We know the Camps as Olen, Grobbendonk, Emblem, etc

10The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Elke

Elke

In the Gondola agreement they call Emblem camp A, Grobbendonk camp B, Olen Transit camp C and Tielen D. It's a little bit funny, the researchers use the name "camp A" but the people who worked there only use "the English camp", "Emblem camp",...

11The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Geoff587

Geoff587

Glad the Forum is back and running, 2 tours at Antwerp from 1977 -1980 and from 1989-1992 when we closed the camp at Olen .

12The Lost Forum Empty Emblem Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:31 pm

keithmacfarlane

keithmacfarlane

I was there September 1967 to January 1969, I loved it there a friendly wee place.Especialy the Cafe Roma in Brochem

13The Lost Forum Empty Re: The Lost Forum Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 pm

the- morganator

I served at Emblem as a National Serviceman 1957/59, Cafe Roma, if my memory serves me correct used to host archery matches at the rear of the Cafe. There was also a small bar in Broechem (can't remember the name) but the owner had two daughters Jacqueline and Anna. I had a few days in Antwerp Aug. 2006 for the Tall Ship races, and took the oppertunity to visit that area, Breochem hadn't changed a lot over the last 50 years, but sadly those two bars no longer excist, the only Cafe that is still there from those days is Cafe Lindenboom, which is where the trams from Antwerp stopped in Breochem. Happy Happy Days. Brian.

14The Lost Forum Empty Brit Forces Antwerp Sat May 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Teepee

Hi my name is Tony and I was lucky enough to serve twice in Belgium.1968-1971 at Olen and again in 1980 until 1985 at Broechem.Lovely posting and a lovely country,the people were brilliant and kind.I was lucky enough to do the tank parade in Antwerpen and the Freedom of Herentals Parade circa1970.Trained with Herentals Football Team under Rijk Van Loey and had a ball in general.Loved Dinant/Namur and the Ardennes;had a wonderful time working at NATO HQ Brussels and stayed at a Guest House long gone just around the corner from the English Pub.My only son was born in the Motherhouse in Herentals in 1981 and is now a father himself.It is indeed nice that someone is producing a written record of such an enjoyable experience for every on concerned.Give my regards to Belgium.Tony

15The Lost Forum Empty help if i can Sun May 30, 2010 10:20 am

dogsbollocks11

Hello , trevor colledge here, spent total of 13 years in and around emblem camp, from 1969 to 1983, ok 14 years, sorry.Went to Olen from training in 69, all strange to me at the time, when Olen closed for living in we moved up to Emblem about 1971 as i remember. was going out with Belgium girl from Nijlen , asked for an extension of tour, refused so bought myself out in 73, married same belgium girl in 76.Next 7 years lived and worked around Nijlen but then split up with wife so decided to re-enlist in army , did this in 1980 at Emblem and would you beleive first posting was Emblem ,lol.Unfortuntley for me i was diagonesed with epilepsy in 83 so medicl dischearge and back to the uk, Teepee knows me well ask him,
All in all a good part of my life there and no regrets whwatsoever, The Belgium people were fantastic and still are , i'm still in touch with many. hope this helps, regards trevor

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum